There are two ways to add your Google Analytic code on your WordPress website which I have described below in detail. This article would be useful for the non-technical blogger or website owner who manage their website without help of any developer. Before I explain you how to add analytic code to website, kindly follow the instructions on how to get the Analytic code for your website.
- Log in to your Google Analytics account. If you do not have an account, visit: https://www.google.com/analytics to get started. Click the “Create account” option
- Select the account with the profile you are trying to locate the tracking code for. You can do this from the “Overview” screen you will see after logging in.
- Click “Edit” in the “Actions” column for the profile you have selected.
- Click “Check Status” located in the “Main Website Profile Information” menu. This will tell you whether or not the Google Analytics tracking code is properly installed and gathering information about your website.
- You need to Scroll down until you see the “Instructions for Adding Tracking” portion of the page. You will find a text box where your tracking code will be displayed which you need to copy for future use.
- Copy this code, and paste it directly before the closing head tag that looks like this:
Now, you have your analytic code for your website, and that you may add to your website using plugin or without plugin.
Method 1: By Using Plugin
Number of plugins are available in market which provides facility to add this code to your website from WordPress backend using plugin. I really like to use Easy Google Analytics WP plugin. It’s quite easy to use this plugin for non-technical users as majority of WordPress users are non-technical who are using WordPress CMS for many different purposes so this is ideal plugin to those users for sure.
- It has feature to add only Google Analytic Tracking ID
- Or, you can directly place your copied Google Analytic code in plugin option, and it will automatically placed before closing of your
- This plugin does is lightweight, it does not include any other or additional script so it will not affect page performance too.
The page loading speed or website performance is vital part in current mobile technology era and this plugin would only load needed resources so performance would not be affected much. To find-out more on page speed, check that out at here How to Improve Your Page Load Speed of WordPress Site?
Method 2: Without Use of any plugin
You do have a copy of Google Analytic Tracking code so you need to paste it into the appropriate section of your website (HTML) code. You may place the same in between